A motorcycle engineer checks and repairs motorcycles and scooters.
Tasks and Duties:
- start the motor to hear which area the fault is in
- test the different parts in the problem area to find out what needs to be repaired or replaced
- discuss any problems and the costs with customers
- repair or replace any faulty parts
- ensure all hazardous subtances are disposed of appropriately
- adjust bikes to improve their performance
- service motorcycles
- carry out Warrant of Fitness checks and insurance repairs
- assemble, check and test-ride new motorcycles
- fit new bikes with accessories
- may order spare parts
Motorcycle engineers need to have mechanical skills and diagnostic skills, practical skills and an eye for detail. They also need to be able to do basic maths.
Motorcycle engineers have to know about motorcycle servicing and repair, motorcycle engines and parts, basic electronics, and Land Transport regulations and safety standards.
Motorcycle engineers should be patient, tolerant, practical, responsible and alert. They should be quick and efficient, but good at listening and able to work well under pressure.
Motorcycle engineers need to have a strong back and a good level of fitness, good hearing and good hand-eye co-ordination.
Motorcycle engineers need to have three years’ secondary education, with NCEA Level 1 in English, maths and science preferred.
A National Certificate for Entry to Automotive Trades is recommended before beginning an apprenticeship.
Motorcycle engineers need to have a motorcycle licence.
Useful experience for motorcycle engineers includes electrical work, automotive engineering, work assembling lawnmowers, chainsaws and other small engine machinery, work assembling vehicles.
Training on the job
Trainee motorcycle engineers work towards a Level 4 National Certificate in Motorcycle Engineering.
Motorcycle engineers work in garages and workshops and may need to travel in order to recover machines that have broken down.
Pay varies, but motorcycle engineers usually earn between $40,000 and $60,000 per year.